Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Advenutres in Nature - 49 Hours In, and Then Some

The Stats

Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Weight: 200 lbs.
Consecutive Hours of Sleep: 2
Mood: Irritated, lethargic
Energy Level: 2 (very low)

First a correction: I did not throw away ...And the Kitchen Sink. I actually threw away So Bright You Have to Wear Shades. Evidently I did not have the appropriate shades.

Second a confession: I stopped my detox 48 (technically 49) hours into the 72 hour process. Yesterday I spent all day with a headache that just wouldn't quit. I chalked it up to a caffeine withdrawal or lack of sleep, but the truth is, after I had dinner last night I felt a lot better. Maybe the detox was working and those toxins were emitting themselves from my system in the form of headache and lethargy. I guess we'll never know.

So, I stopped my detox and I didn't feel too badly about it because I'm beginning to think that I overdid it on the amount of fruits and veggies. I was actually beginning to be a little sickened by what I was eating. Gnawing on the carrots was growing tiresome and was making me a bit queasy. Doing the dishes last night and scrubbing the tupperware that had held the juices I got a big gaggy. It turns out people are right about balance: it's a good thing.

Last night my wonderful fiance made me scrabbled eggs with cheddar cheese and whole wheat toast with Land O' Lakes butter. I searched up and down the aisles for whole wheat toast that wasn't overloaded with chemicals, preservatives, and high fructose corn syrup, and you know what I found out? I could go to the Co-Op and pay an arm and a leg for a loaf of bread and feel really good about where my arm and leg was going OR I could by the Stop and Shop bakery bread. They make it fresh daily in house, so there are very few preservatives and no high fructose corn syrup. They also do this with their bagels, muffins, pastries, etc.

After I digested a bit - it was a surprisingly difficult shift after only two days of eating raw foods to have "prepared" foods (that weren't even really that prepared) - I made homemade peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies. I'm not fooling anyone by saying I'm giving up sugar. However, I am doing my upmost best to give up refined sugar and processed sweets. But, if I make it myself, at least I know what goes into it. The cookies were really simple.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 1/2 cups whole wheat or unbleached white flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 bar natural dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix flour and baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
Take a rolling pin. Slam it on your chocolate bar. Repeatedly. Pretend it's someone you don't like. Feel better about life.
Mix together softened butter, sugar, and egg. Slowly stir in dry ingredients. Add chunked chocolate.
Drop cookies on cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with a fork so bottoms don't burn. (No one likes a burned bottom!)
Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown.

True story: these cookies are dense. I mean, chewing slowly through molasses in a field of egg custard dense. Have a beverage with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment